Counselor-In-Training (CIT)/Monster Campers
Monster Campers (CIT) are our elite group of older campers (ages 16-19) who wish to train as educators and entertainers and perhaps become staff one day. Our camp is unusual in that our CITs are NOT treated as counselors… you do not lead the campers without specific guidance while being overseen by our adult staff. You are, however, trained like our counselors and have specific responsibilities in accordance with their age and experience.
Our CIT are mentored by our adult staff who have extensive training in youth management. Since CITs are close in age with our campers, you need training and time to develop important decision making skills before you can become counselors. We provide a safe environment where you can practice education, entertainment and group management skills with the campers but without the stress of being actual counselors. We rely on you as role models and to help in many aspects of running the camp – but you are also campers and are given rest time, recreation time and guidance like our youth campers.
Monster Campers are given the opportunity to learn the following:
- Methods for running safe, entertaining and educational plots for the younger campers
- Conflict resolution skills to help campers as well as their own team work and play together
- How to role play various types of creatures and characters from literature, mythology and history
- Creating fun, educational curriculum for the campers as they learn physics, biology, chemistry, math, history, Latin, and more.
- Basic makeup and costuming techniques to create a more theatrical environment
- Problem solving and thinking-on-your-feet to address instant changes in story line and to adjust entertainment or educational value
- Coordinating and planning logistics for flow of events, resources, staffing, props, special effects and more
- How to establish a professional demeanor and motivate your team and campers
- Being pro-active and identifying problems before they arise
Our Monster Campers develop a camaraderie with each other and your staff mentors which can last a lifetime. Graduates from the CIT program may be preferred candidates for future camp counselor paid positions.
The following are requirements for all CIT Campers:
- Previous experience working with younger kids
- A strong sense of responsibility and safety
- Provide own basic costuming (see Costuming Page)
- Be reliable and able to take instruction
- In good physical shape (playing monsters is rigorous!)
Acting/role playing experience is helpful, but not necessary. We can teach you.
How to apply to be a Monster Camper:
First time applicants need to submit the following contact form, attention to Camp Director Laura Gosenca, stating their interest. Laura will then work to schedule an in-person or phone interview with the applicant.
Returning applicants need to send a cover letter and resume (it does not need to be perfect, but does need to show thought and effort). Laura will then work to schedule an in-person or phone interview with the applicant. These interviews may be with Laura or with the Camp’s Program Director, Jarred Landry.
Overnight Monster Camper Program
The program begins on the Wednesday of Training Week when all overnight monster campers will arrive at camp to begin their participation in our training week (Monster Campers will be dismissed at noon on Friday of that week and will be expected to return to camp on Sunday at 10am to prepare for camper arrival). The program will conclude on the last Saturday of camp. Monster Campers are required to attend both Zombie Camp and Wizards & Warriors Camp. Prices are for the entire summer.
Overnight Monster Camper Prices (Total for 6 weeks, after a half week of free training):
Tier 1 Monster Campers – 50% off current camper tuition
*Register by November 5th, 2017 to get Pre-Season discounts!*
Tier 2 Monster Campers – Further reduced rates
Tier 3 Monster Campers – Participate at no cost
Quest Monster Camper Program
The program for Quest Monster Campers allows them to go home every night, just like a Quest Camper. Quest Monster Campers are also required to attend a full day of training during the training week. If you are interested in being a Quest Monster Camper but can’t attend the full summer of camp, contact us.
Quest Monster Camper Prices are the same percentages off of Quest Camper Tuition.
How Tiers Are Decided
The Monster Camper program is designed as a per year progression. All first year Monster Campers, if accepted, begin at T1. Returning Monster Campers have the potential to be accepted at a level of T2 or higher. Levels for returning Monster Campers are based on outside experience, demonstrated skill and demonstrated maturity.
To apply, please submit a resume of experience via our contact form. We look forward to hearing from you!